Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What God Knows

5.31.2011

Proverbs 16:2 2 All a man’s ways seem innocent to him, but motives are weighed by the Lord. NIV

What would happen if we woke up every day and said “God knows the thoughts and intents of my heart”? What if we began to treat those around us at home, church, work, school, or leisure acknowledging that God knows our motives? I suppose there are two ways to deal with the Lord’s omniscience: love it or hate it; embrace it, or try to run from it.

The miracle of God is that He sees into our hearts – that deep place in us where our thoughts, intents, and reasoning’s start. It’s not in our organ called the heart – it’s in a very deep place within us where all of this stuff comes from. Jesus said “The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.” (Luke 6:45 NIV) And God knows and hears and sees it all.

In my quest for control – not self-control – I find myself coming up with schemes and dreams of how I think my life would be better if only I could… And I’ve come up with some doozies. But God knows me better that I ever can or will and knows what is best for me to succeed (in His definition of the word) in life dying to my desire for control, and living with the spiritual fruit of self-control. If God knows my motives even when I claim innocence then He has the last word. It’s all part of the breaking process where I fully submit to God and die to me. I can’t win… but God does.

Father in Heaven,
You know all of my thoughts, motives, and intents. You see into my soul in a way that reassures me of Your omniscience and You infinite love. May I trust You that as You know, You will guide; and that I will arrive at Heaven’s door blessed to have trusted in Your knowledge of me, and in Your will for my life – amen.

No comments: