Monday, May 9, 2011

The Duty of the Elderly

5.9.2011

Psalm 71:18 18 Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come. NIV

At my age, I’m beginning to think about my age and my older age, if God grants me that grace. I think about my lack of retirement. I think about my health. I think about what is going to happen to me. I think about how lousy my golf game is… it’s lousy. But then I read a verse like this one and I think, “Oh yeah, there is something else for me to think about…”

God cares about the old and gray – I’m headed to that reality. God has something for them to do. God is not unaware of my thoughts, my lack of planning, or my golf game (I really don’t play golf). God thinks about me, cares for me, and has promised to take care of me when I’m old and gray. And God has something for me to do.

I am to declare His power to the next generation, and speak of His might to all who are to come. That’s my job; that's my mission - it’s also my passion. My life was never meant for me to sit back and just let life happen – my life is meant to be lived on my toes and ready for the interactions I’ll have with those around me who don’t know God and His Son, Jesus Christ. They might know about Him but they don’t know Him.

My job, my ministry, my mission, my joy, and my passion is to speak to others of the goodness of Him who provides for the elderly and cares for them in their weakness and limitations. The duty of the elderly in Christ is not retirement but missions! That is what I am called to – and that, my friends, is what I am doing.

Father in Heaven,
You know my thoughts about age, health and wealth. My age is an advantage because experience speaks for something. You have blessed me with relatively good health and it is a gift and a resource to be used for You. And my wealth – well, I’m trusting You for that too. Help me to fulfill the duty of the elderly even though I’m not quite there yet. Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come. Amen.

No comments: