Sunday, May 22, 2011

What People Want

5.22.2011

Psalm 99:6 6 Moses and Aaron were among his priests, Samuel was among those who called on his name; they called on the Lord and he answered them. NIV

I think this verse sums up what people want – at least the people I am aware of – the people around me and the people of my culture and upbringing. I think it’s true of my relatives and friends; I think it’s true of my coworkers and neighbors and the people of my church. I think the Postal delivery people want it. I think the police and the city officials want it. I think it affects just about everyone I know and can think of in any stage of life or vocation. They want to know if God hears and answers. They want to know if God will hear them and answer them.

The sick want to know. The poor want to know. The sad want to know; the troubled want to know as well – does God hear me? Maybe they don’t act like it; maybe they put on a brave face and just tough it out; or they just whine and complain about their plight. Everyone wants to be happy in some way…maybe.

Many seem to have given up; they’ve made up their minds that God doesn’t hear and now have moved on to the place in their minds that God doesn’t exist. If God does exist, then He doesn't care – if He did care, He’d help me. But God does hear and God does care – it just comes with a price.

So then, God can be bought! Hmmm, I don’t think I’d put it in those words, but if God could be bought, then there is only one way: belief. We must believe that there is a God and that He hears the ones who diligently and unswervingly seek Him. And we don’t seek Him for our way – we seek Him for His way. His way is better by far – infinitely so – than our way. God cannot be bought but He does expect belief.

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. (Hebrews 11:6 NIV) If I expect Him to hear me and answer, I better make sure I have real relationship with Him – otherwise I’m just fooling myself…

Father in Heaven,
You hear and You answer – You always have to the heart of the one who believes in You and who believes You. I trust You hear me and I trust in the answers You give. Even when it’s not what I want to hear… Thank You Lord! Amen.

No comments: