Monday, May 16, 2011

What I Really Believe

5.16.2011

1 Thessalonians 5:5 5 You are all sons of the light and sons of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. NIV

I am a comparison person; I weigh differing thoughts, I look for the differences between similar products. I compare what I read in my choice of news outlets with what is written in Scripture. I look at the lives of those who say they are to see if what they say matches how they live. Some call all this comparing a gift; others see it as a curse – I just accept it for who I am.

I believe lots of money passes through our banks these days that isn’t real money. Today, we seem to have adopted the attitude that counterfeit money just needs to be someone else’s problem and when the music stops, the one with the most bad cash loses. Cynical? Perhaps. We seem to be too busy to look at the differences in our leaders and the policies they promote. A crowd of protestors four miles long in Yemen – oughta get someone’s attention…

Paul told the Thessalonian church that the differences are night and day; and he said they were sons of the light and sons of the day. Whether they lived like that or not isn’t the question – it’s what they really believed they were that made all the difference. My pastor says it this way, “What would happen if we really believed – that what we really believe is really real?” The difference is enormous. It’s all a matter of night and day what we really believe about ourselves.

Today, I face this snowy May day with this attitude and understanding: I am a son of the day. Either I believe it and live accordingly – or I just try to fake it. Hmmm? What’s the comparison?

Father in Heaven,
You have told us who we are, and I believe You expect us, by faith, to believe it. You haven’t told us we were flawlessly perfect – but You have called us Your sons and told us we are sons of the day. May I live really believing that this day and honor You in that belief – through Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments: