Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Truth Implied

12.26.2010

Psalm 119:89-90 89 Forever, O Lord, your word is firmly fixed in the heavens. 90 Your faithfulness endures to all generations; you have established the earth, and it stands fast. ESV

So I guess I don’t have to worry – God seems to have it all under control and I don’t have to worry about cataclysmic events, or meteors or asteroids or comets hitting the planet. And even if they do, I don’t have to worry about God changing His mind about anything He’s said because His word is firmly fixed in the heavens and everything He’s said about me will hold to the end. Whew! Or maybe I should say, whoo-hoo!

If I had to worry about anything, I guess I could worry about the cunning and craftiness of men who seem hell-bent on power and control. But even that lusting and craving can’t dislodge the promises of God’s word firmly fixed forever in the heavens; a place where the cunning and the crafty don’t seem to have access. So I guess I don’t have to worry about that either. Might be slightly uncomfortable; but then the cross was uncomfortable for Jesus… and He didn’t seem to mind…

I always start thinking about next year at this time of the year – probably like everyone else does. I need to remember Psalm 119.89-90 all throughout the year. I need to remember the truth implied here: “Don’t worry; I’ve got it all under control – even your discomfort. Just stay fixed on Me and hold to what I’ve said, and you’ll be fine…”

Lord God,
Another year is rapidly coming to a close and I thank You for all that has happened in this one and I look forward to the next one. Thank You that You are firmly fixed and not one atom is allowed to go rogue without Your noticing or approval. My heart is filled with joy and expectation for all You’re going to do on our behalf down the road through Your Son, my Savior – amen.

No comments: