Friday, December 10, 2010

Given and Guided

12.10.2010

2 Timothy 1:15 15 You are aware that all who are in Asia turned away from me, among whom are Phygelus and Hermogenes. ESV

It is indeed lonely at the top – there are few who truly understand the vision and capture the passion for the mission. It’s lonely at the top and even lonelier in prison awaiting execution. I tend to think that Paul might’ve had a question or two for the Lord regarding his circumstances. But I also tend to think that Paul practiced what he preached. I tend to think Paul’s relationship with the Lord was such that he truly entrusted his situation to God and looked forward to beheading as the last step before rounding the bend into the Lord’s presence forever.

All who were in Asia turned away from Paul including a couple of leaders (I assume because they are mentioned specifically). But Paul didn’t turn away from the Lord and the Lord didn’t turn away from Him. And true to his mission, Paul used every opportunity to encourage and edify as he awaited his death. His letters were all about being courageous and careful and none of it was poor pitiful me.

So I am encouraged today as I think about Paul’s response to walk as he did with trust that Jesus is completely in control of all that I do and am and wherever I find myself. Paul’s circumstances didn’t derail his love for God and for others, nor did they cause him to whine and complain. His circumstances fanned the flame of urgency and caused him to make the best use of his remaining days as he awaited departure into a future that all of us in Christ long for.

Father in Heaven,
I firmly believe that all of my days are given and guided by You. May I respond by using them to fulfill the mission You’ve given me and to live in ever-increasing passion for Your Kingdom as I await my departure from here and enter into there in Christ – in His Name, amen.

No comments: