Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Best and Most Essential

12.8.2010

1 Timothy 4:7-8 7 Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; 8 for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.

I cannot number the times I have heard someone bemoan the fact that they are “out of shape” and they’re going to do something about it. I hear the hew and cry of those who bemoan (outwardly) the presence of Christmas goodies and their need to protect themselves from overindulgence so that the outcome of such indulgence won’t be evident in February once the goodies are long gone and the Visa bill is due.

I know others who live by silly myths believing that somehow by holding to the knowledge of a rabbit’s foot, a dream catcher, or some other idiotic notion that they’re preparing their way for whatever their understanding is of God and heaven. Superstition is a powerful deceptive force – strong enough to guide people away from the reasonableness of truth. Paul warned Timothy (and by his words to Timothy, us as well) to stay away from such nonsense. Paul maintained that godliness is of value in every way as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. 

Thoughtful, intentional, regular exposure to God’s word is some of the best and most essential training in godliness we can get. Our Bibles ought to be well-worn. Our minds should be filled with God’s truth and the histories presented in Scripture… or they will be simply full of something else.

I like the, ‘promise for the present life and also for the life to come’ part. I need help everyday in the present life; and I so look forward to the one to come when life will take on a whole new dimension.

Jesus,
Be with me Lord Jesus I ask You to stay close by me forever and help me I pray. I’m glad I reside safely in Your tender care as You prepare me for heaven to live with You there. Amen.

No comments: