Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Ransomed

12.28.2010

Revelation 5:9-10 9 And they sang a new song, saying, “Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, 10 and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth.” ESV

A price had to be paid since the day the Two ate of the fruit of disobedience and in a volatile and vulnerable way became aware of good and evil; up until then, they only knew of innocence and good. I only say this as a fallen, broken, faulty, fickle, and frail person – we have no idea of the height or depth of God’s love for His creation, and the Pinnacle of that creation: mankind. A price had to be paid.

I could do without much of mankind with their cruelty, criticism, murders, lies and deceptions. I could do without the cheating and manipulation. I could do without the underhanded dealings and the out and out corruption – but then I’d have to do without me – I’d have to go. But God in His mercy and kindness and unfathomable and incomprehensible love ransomed people for Himself through Christ. To be ransomed means that we were (or had been) kidnapped and were being held for ransom. To one we were only a pawn; to the Other a prize. Man! How God loves us!

Today, as a fallen, broken, faulty, fickly, frail person, I am eternally glad that God ransomed me from my fate and my choices. I am thrilled that He looked past all of my issues to what I could become in Him – oh how happy I am! Things could be a lot worse…

Father God,
For all You’ve done I am thankful that You didn’t see me for what I was but for what I could become in Him – thank You for Him and by His blood He ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, and He has made us a kingdom and priests to You, our God, and we shall reign on the earth because of it – hallelujah, amen!

No comments: