Monday, December 20, 2010

Knowing God

12.20.2010

John 7:28 28 So Jesus proclaimed, as he taught in the temple, “You know me, and you know where I come from? But I have not come of my own accord. He who sent me is true, and him you do not know. ESV

I have to admit that I have read this verse many, many times and have never understood until tonight that Jesus actually asked a question: You know me, and you know where I come from? The Scripture thinly masks the incredulity of the Lord at the arrogance of these people.

Mankind is arrogant. Mankind, intelligent and gifted, creative and clever, is horribly arrogant. It’s almost as if a risky experiment went way wrong and the outcome is a race of self-centered, self-absorbed, selfish monsters running loose. God came to save these people and they said, no thanks, we’re fine; go save someone else – we’d don’t need You! They were no different then than we are now.

Probably one of the best books I’ve every read is J.I. Packer’s book, Knowing God*. Most people would admit they know about God; if mankind were to collectively write a book about God, it would probably be entitled, Knowing About God; and in it we would find out more about God than we care; we just wouldn’t find God. With man it’s all about knowing about God – all the do’s and don’ts; what’s in, what’ out. Man can tell you all about God but only as an expert who is trying to tell you why people get the common cold… all show and no blow…

Jesus’ question is one many will have to answer to someday. Jesus will ask, ‘You know Me and yet you did nothing with Me – what’s up with that!?’ To know Jesus is to accept Him for who He is; not what I think about Him. And Jesus shows Himself to the humble not to the arrogant…

Lord,
You’ve shown Yourself to me, and everyday You make it abundantly clear that without You, I’m toast. Jesus, cause Your personality to rub off on me that I may help others to know You, not just about You. I ask in Your Name, amen.

*Knowing God, J.I. Packer, Inter-varsity Press, 1993

No comments: