Sunday, December 19, 2010

Calling You Father

12.19.2010

John 5:18 18 This was why the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God. ESV

In modern America we don’t take each other that seriously nor do our words hold that much meaning. Most of us don’t know each other’s father. Most of us could care less what our ancestors were up to. We, as a society, tend to live for today without much thought about tomorrow and what impact our lives will have through our offspring. Not so in the east when Jesus walked on the earth.

In those days who your father was, was a big deal; what your father did and what worldview he espoused were very important. There are statements all throughout the Gospels that give up glimpses of the importance of parenting, heritage and family. And when one claimed his father, it was viewed as being an extension of that person’s life and his father before him and before him and so on…

There are two kids in this community who call me father (well ok, they call me, dad). I hope my life and conduct as they talk to others is a reflection of my calling God my Father. I hope my legacy wears off on them and someday they truly call God their Father. I hope it makes a difference in our world and in the lives of others, just like Jesus did when He walked this earth…

Father in Heaven,
You’ve placed me where I am and given me the kids I have. I pray that my calling You Father makes a difference in the lives of my kids and in the lives of others here in this little town – I pray in Jesus’ Name. Amen.

No comments: