Thursday, December 23, 2010

Proving His Presence

12.23.2010

John 15:8 8  By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. ESV

Jesus said fruit bearing is only achieved by abiding in Him and remaining in Him. I think about this truth and every time I read it my whole being screams out, Okay, Lord, what can I do!? And every time the answer is simply: Abide in Me and remain in Me. There is nothing I can do but abide in Him.

My great big fat thought for the day recently was this: the only way to deny self is to remain totally focused upon God. It’s no wonder Brother Lawrence wrote “Practicing the Presence of God”; he wanted to learn how to deny self. Denying self isn’t natural and it isn’t easy but I believe it is accomplished by using all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength to keep the focus and direction of my life in and toward God. There cannot be any other way than by abiding in Him.

And that sheds light on all the other things I do – thought, speech, and action. Either my thoughts, words, and actions are an echo and reflection of God or they are simply mine. When they are an echo and reflection of Him, then they are as a result of keeping my mind trained toward and upon only Him. I believe that is abiding.

Today, I conversed with the Lord as I read John 15 through 18. Today, I asked that I bear more fruit, and to learn how to abide. This morning, I will go off to my work and will attempt to practice His presence and try to remember that all I do is to be a reflection of Him who is true – thus proving His presence. Fruit-bearing is proof that He's there...

Abiding One,
You abide with and in me – is it too much to ask that I return the favor? I pray Lord Jesus, that You help me to forsake all this trying to please You crap that I’ve been dragging around for years and simply practice Your presence in every conversation, thought, and deed this day. I want to bear fruit for You. Amen.

No comments: