Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Jerusalem

12.29.2010

Revelation 11:8 8 … their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city that symbolically is called Sodom and Egypt, where their Lord was crucified. ESV

One day, Jesus stood on the Mount of Olives across the Kidron Valley from the city and wept, “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not! See, your house is left to you desolate. For I tell you, you will not see me again, until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.’” (Mt 23:37-39)

The two witnesses mentioned in Revelation 11 will execute their ministry and be hated for it in the city of Jerusalem. They will also meet their demise in Jerusalem – and to the horror of all they will resurrect and ascend to Heaven in Jerusalem. Talk about irony...

It ain’t rocket science – John is speaking of Jerusalem; where their Lord (our Lord, the Lord) was crucified. In the Bible there is only one Lord and there is only one crucifixion: His. I usually don’t think of J-town as Sodom and Egypt. I think of Jerusalem as the City of David. I think of Jerusalem as the City of the Great King. I pray for the peace of Jerusalem. But when John has his vision Jerusalem has become no more than Sodom, the epitome of apathy and evil; and Egypt, the epitome of the world opposed to God. Jerusalem started out so well and ended up the pinpoint of God’s wrath and anger because she would not.

I wonder what Jesus says about me and you. I wonder if He looks at the Father and says something like, “They started out so poorly, but look at them now; and hear their praise!” I think so…

Father in Heaven,
Tonight I pray for my Jewish brethren and ask for their salvation and for the peace of Jerusalem. I pray that Your will be accomplished among them and that the floodgates of blessing burst forth upon them as they realize that Jesus is their Messiah and has come to win them back. O God may it be! Amen.

No comments: