Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Jesus Report

12.21.2010

John 11:53 53 So from that day on they made plans to put him to death. ESV

I’m not sure what all the daily responsibilities of the High Priest were; I’m sure however he did stuff each day that had to be done. The High Priest in those days was kind of like a CEO today – the mover, the shaker, the planner. I’m fairly certain that he had regular meetings with people under him to make sure the machine (not as he viewed it) was functioning properly. I’m fairly certain he had regular interaction with the Romans. High Priests were after all, just men doing their usual manly things – creating, controlling, commanding and: conniving.

And then because of circumstances beyond his control the High Priest had to deal with this Jesus. Whatever his previous To Do list was, he now had an additional item on it and John tells us that from that day on they (he and his helpers) made plans to put Him to death. I think they called it, The Jesus Report. And getting rid of this meddlesome nuisance overshadowed everything else they did.

What’s on our To Do list – cooperating with Jesus or getting rid of Him? Or how about just ignoring Him and hoping He’ll go away? If someone was to map out our plans from this day forward, how would they word our actions? Would they say something like. “From that day on he did (such and such) as part of his daily life.” What overshadows our lives these days – Christmas, work, sickness? What’s on our To Do list?

What’s interesting to me is that Jesus seemed to be totally unconcerned with their To Do list and the fact that He was Item Number 1. I’d like to live with that kind of freedom and purpose. That means however that I need to learn how to let go of the To Do list and walk in step with the Holy Spirit, like Jesus did. My Jesus Report ought to consist of me reporting in to Jesus and asking Him for guidance and direction today; and then trusting Him as He shows me what to do.

Lord Jesus,
All I want for Christmas is You leading me by the Spirit and the ability to hear what You say; and to do as You ask. Help me as I seek that, and help me as I live for You today. Amen.

No comments: