Friday, December 17, 2010

A Thousand Year’s Worth

12.17.2010

2 Peter 3:8 8 But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. ESV

There are days when I could stand a thousand year’s worth. There are other days when it seems to carry on for a thousand years. I like the thousand year’s worth; I’m not too keen on the other. Most of the time, I’m zipping through my ordinary day eagerly awaiting an evening at home; and then off to sleep awaiting a fresh cup of  hot coffee in the morning. Most of my days are sort of nondescript.

The challenge is looking for the thousand year’s worth and making the most of the days I have. And making the most doesn’t have to be huge; it’s mostly simple stuff like saying kind things to my loved ones, being energetic and efficient at work, having meaningful conversations, and starting my day by spending time in God’s word. Often the thousand year’s worth is found in an hour or so of simply filling my mind with what I read in the Bible and writing about it in hope that some will read it and find encouragement.

Peter summed it up for me very well when he said “… do not overlook this one fact, that with the Lord…” There you have it: with the Lord. Whether a day is a gracious reward or a grueling retooling, with the Lord is what it’s all about. Lately, I've taken to writing my daily want-list to the Lord on slips of paper and carrying them with me throughout the day; reading them when I have a brief moment or two. It helps remind me of Who is really in charge and that He’s with me in whatever I find myself doing. He is after all, the Keeper of my days – good or bad…

Father in Heaven,
You know what I need before I speak it. You’re completely aware of every need I’ve had, I have or will ever have. Whether or not a day is good or bad by my standards, may I remember that You are the Keeper of my days, and the Guardian of my soul. Help me to make the most of my days in the light of that truth I pray, in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: