Friday, March 4, 2011

What it Takes to Move Mountains

3.4.2011

Mark 11:22-25 22 “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. 23 “I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. 25 And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.”

In commentary after commentary I read that Jesus was only speaking figuratively when He said, “…whatever you ask for in prayer, believer that you have received it, and it will be yours.” He wasn’t really saying, “[say] to this mountain, ‘Go throw yourself into the sea…’.”

My mind just won’t let me go there. If Jesus said, “I tell you the truth…” then I think He was telling us the truth. If there are certain things that are off limits in our prayers, then I think Jesus would’ve clearly specified those things. But He said, “…and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him.” Sounds like a done deal to me.

In the context however it seems the only hitch is forgiveness; for Jesus also said, “And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.” So I am led to conclude that I can ask God for what I really need and by believing I can expect it but prayer is not just a place to receive but more a place to give – and forgive. Mountains may be God’s responsibility, but according to this, forgiveness is mine.

There is a certain person I know, that just the sight of him makes me ball up inside. I haven’t spoken to this person in over two years because I have had no need or occasion to. I saw him yesterday and all the old feelings about him came right back to the surface; truth is, in my heart, I still have issues. That tells me that I need to forgive (again) and pray (again) for grace to forget; for I also need a mountain or two removed…

Father in Heaven,
You know my heart and I am so glad You do. Help me again today to give over my hurt feelings and help me to give over the hurtful, aggressive, thoughtless emotion (H.A.T.E.) I have toward, “….”.Lord, life is too short to hang onto that stuff and I do need some mountains moved – in Jesus Name I pray, amen.

No comments: