Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Pretzel-Logic

3.15.2011

Deuteronomy 29:19 19 When such a person hears the words of this oath, he invokes a blessing on himself and therefore thinks, “I will be safe, even though I persist in going my own way.” NIV

Talk about pretzel-logic* – yikes. Paul said in Galatians 6, “Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8 The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.” (vv6,7). It’s a dangerous thing to mess around with God – to bait Him, and tease Him, and give Him half a heart. But people do it all the time.

The faultiness of the thinking in the verse above is, I can get away with it because I’m covered. I can sin and make a fool of myself and not worry at all because Jesus has taken care of all my issues! How foolish! It is the height of disrespect, arrogance, and insult – but people do it all the time.

My question is what if? What if the ancient Israelites took God at His word and followed Him wholeheartedly? What difference in the world would that have made? What kind of road for the advent of Christ would that have paved? That’s almost too big of a thought to think! It could’ve happened except for that mindset that said, “I will be safe, even though I persist in going my own way.”

How many times I have fallen for that one. How many times I’ve reasoned that God will overlook my sin and foolishness because after all, I’m a Christian. How lame, how pathetic. How transparent, how true.

Father in Heaven,
You are true, and just the sixteenth of what You desire for Your children, would fill a hundred-trillion, billion eternities. Father, I admit I am weak and stupid but eternally grateful for Your word and Your love. Forgive me for buying into the I am safe lie; and for thinking that I can persist in going my own way. I can’t and because I can’t I thank You for Your salvation. Amen.

*Pretzel-Logic is once defined as: Convoluted thinking that is anything but logical, usually used to attempt to support a point that is insupportable.

No comments: