Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Crazy Little Thing Called Love

3.12.2011

Galatians 3:24 24 So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. NIV

There is a thing in the universe called love – a crazy little thing called love. We always have to remember that it was God who got this whole thing started and He is the One who reached out in love to us. Love is a many-splendored thing; but along the way in the life of love, are the bumps and bruises that come along with it – no one is exempt. And when we remember that above and beyond all we are and have is a God who loves us, then we remember that love is all about relating, not rule-keeping. God’s love is offered with one condition only (“One ping only, Vasili…”): belief. And by believing, all of the conditions of the Law are met. The focus is on love, not on Law.

I don’t care how many times I read this; it always makes me stop and think. It makes me remember how futile keeping the Law becomes and how wonderful my relationship with Jesus Christ truly is. It makes me remember that the Law had to be, but only until faith dawned in the believing heart. And faith is what sets a me free from the tyranny of the Law: do or die.

Paul’s letter to the Galatians had to do with reminding them that what is begun in the Spirit cannot ever be completed in the flesh: we cannot prove our love for God by keeping the rules - no matter how hard we try or how good we are at it.  That’s why getting to know God and learning to love Him is so important. That’s why believing Him is so important; that’s why living a life of faith in His finished work is so important. But even these are still only the entry level to life in eternity and all that life includes. There are depths to God, that even with eternity, we will never know. There are depths to us that it will take all eternity to reveal… Keeping the Law will never get us there.

Father in Heaven,
You know how legalistic I can be and have been. Lord, it is about love and it is about relaxing in Your’s. The only condition is belief and so today Father, I am once again reminded of why I believe. May my love for You be evident in my love for others and may I walk in the freedom of Your love today – amen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! How exciting!

Love and Faith. We can go so much further when we truly grasp how deep each of these are, and what there is for us 'in' each of these. It's like trying to pour and ocean into a thimble; our finite mind just can't get it all.

Oh but then, saddle up cowboy...One man disobeyed God, and many became sinners. In the same way, one man obeyed God, and many will be made right. Romans 5:19.

That should rock your boat! We are in right standing with God. That is so awesome - we get to exercise our faith and come boldly to God and ask. In Faith, because of His love for us.

We have so much to learn. I am glad God is so patient with me.

- Drew