Monday, March 14, 2011

And One Must Do

3.14.2011

Galatians 5:16 16 So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. NIV

It sounds so simple; it sounds almost euphorically wonderful: live by the Spirit and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. It sounds almost too good to be true.

Jesus Christ lived by the Spirit. Jesus submitted Himself to the Spirit’s control and direction in life. He who knew no sin, yet was tempted in every way that we are; lived and moved according to what the Father told Him through the Spirit. And so because He did, He knew no sin and yet because He did he became sin for all of us and took the punishment that was intended for us upon Himself so that we would be free to walk by the Spirit and not gratify the desires of our sinful nature. And Paul urged the Galatians (and us) to do the same thing.

Living by the Spirit is keeping in step with the Spirit (Gal. 5.25). Keeping in step is paying attention to what the Spirit is doing and what the Spirit is saying. And in order to pay attention, one must (non-negotiable) endlessly keep his/her nose shoved into the Scripture in order to acclimate to the culture of Heaven. Flawless perfection? Perhaps not but in this case, getting an “E” for effort is worthy.

And one must do. Obedience to the plain instruction of the Scripture leads to a spiritual sensitivity that defies logic, reason, and the unbelief that says, I’m not perfect; I’m only human

I am to live by the Spirit as I live with the Spirit. The more I acknowledge His presence the better off I am in hearing Him and obeying Him. My goal is verse 16 – to live by the Spirit to defeat the desires of my sinful nature. It is not to become conceited, prevocational, and jockeying for position (verse 26).

Holy Spirit,
Lead on O King Eternal! May my directives and direction come only from You this day. May my heavenly name be called, Riveted! Amen.

No comments: