Sunday, March 6, 2011

None

3.6.2011

Deuteronomy 4:7 7 What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the Lord our God is near us whenever we pray to him? NIV

None. That’s the answer to Moses’ question; none. I don’t know many people who pray to other gods. I’m sure they’re out there, and there are probably plenty more than I know. But the point of Moses is if you’re going to pray, at least pray in order to get an answer; otherwise prayer is useless. Why pray if you can’t get an answer?

Answers to prayer are usually along the lines of, yes, no, wait, and ‘If you insist!’ ‘No’ and ‘wait’ are just as valid and useful as ‘yes.’ God’s love, greatness and power are infinitely abundant in each of His answers, even in the ‘If you insist’. And Moses is making a point with the Israelites to get them to just examine things at face value – name one nation whose god does what our God does! There aren’t any.

Is God near to us whenever we pray to Him? Any answer other than ‘yes’ is insufficient. Of course God is near whenever we pray! I think He’s near even when we’re abysmally childish and selfish. The only way we’re going to become otherwise is to pray to the One who is infinitely able to transform us from childishness to maturity. We have to believe He’s near, or why bother praying? And if we get the ‘if you insist’ answer, then we have to accept it with faith from Him who is infinitely wise and loving and will let us see the disaster of having our own way so that we can learn to trust Him in His way…which, by the way, also includes the Truth and the Life.

If God isn’t near whenever I pray to Him, then praying isn’t worth it. If I have to go and wake Him up in order to get Him to do something, then He’s insufficient. But my God is anything but insufficient; and today, I am reminded He is near whenever I pray; and if that’s the way it is, then I need to pray more – this world is desperately in need of praying people… I can't afford to operate otherwise.

Father in Heaven,
You are always near. Sometimes You are very quiet, but You are never distant. My prayer list is long and getting longer. I will pray into Your presence and remember to pray about the things I worry about; trusting that You hear, You care, You answer, and You act. Thank You God! Amen.

No comments: