Thursday, March 31, 2011

In God We Trust

3.31.2011

Psalm 49:12-13 12 But man, despite his riches, does not endure; he is like the beasts that perish. 13 This is the fate of those who trust in themselves, and of their followers, who approve their sayings. NIV

It has taken me years to realize that the Psalms in the Bible were not all written by David. The particular Psalm quoted above was written by the sons of Korah. It’s part of a collection of psalms found in Book II of the psalms starting with Psalm 42. The songs of the sons of Korah are Psalms 42 through 49. This psalm reads more like a collection of proverbs than it does as a song.

Just about everyone I know wants more money. This goes for both the rich and the poor. We men, and especially those of us in the west, seem to never have enough; and always want more and more. Ironically, we want equity, justice, wisdom, and security, and yet we keep putting those in power who trust only in their wealth, and then ask us to do the same; and many of us, do the same.

The calling of the Church of Jesus Christ is to trust in God – Alone. This is very hard to do living in a society that trusts in riches and even writes on its money, In God we Trust. Solomon the greatest and richest king of Israel, once wrote: A feast is made for laughter, and wine makes life merry, but money is the answer for everything. (Ecclesiastes 10:19 NIV) Money is the answer for self-reliance.

Depending on God is hard until one sees the futility of depending on anything else. With God I may not have a full bank account but I will have peace; I may not drive the best car on the road, but I will have His acceptance. Seeing the futility of money and self-reliance is a gift from God. The world focuses on money – the Church and all who are in Her must focus on God.

My dealings with wealth have been selfish and stupid at best; I’ve always had a hard time with money (and really, money isn’t the issue, lack of self-control is). I’ve bought the lie that more money means an easier life. And now as my life is beginning to show signs of age, and wear and tear, I’m reassessing the things I’ve bought into and redirecting my thoughts toward how to work with God to keep people from dying like beasts with no knowledge of Him. I’ll let Him control the money and I’ll do what He says – “…God will redeem my life from the grave; He will surely take me to Himself.” (Psalm 49:15)

No comments: