Friday, March 11, 2011

A God We Can't Handle

3.11.2011

Deuteronomy 18:16 16 For this is what you asked of the Lord your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly when you said, “Let us not hear the voice of the Lord our God nor see this great fire anymore, or we will die.” NIV

As I stated in my blog yesterday, God scares the crap out of most people. Apparently most people believe in God, or some sort of higher being. The problem comes with the higher being not being like us; that’s where the problem lies. We can’t handle a god we can’t handle and are much more comfortable with one we can.

I think God, for most people, is some sort of divine Get-‘er-Done’r sort of being. I think they think they need God when they’re short of cash. I think they think they need God when their clothes don’t fit quite like they feel like they should. I think they think they want this God to wave His mighty wand over them and make their lives happy and carefree. They want God to give them eyes to see themselves, but not to see others in need. But of course, if there are others in need, God take care of them too. When I’m sick make me well. When I’m down, lift me up. Serve my every need and if You want to keep Your job, don’t ever let me feel bad…

But then, God wouldn’t be God, we would be – then we wouldn’t need God – at least as long as we felt good.

Most of this stems from our dissatisfaction with the world around us and the present of pain and sin and our revulsion of it. Most of this stems from our true need for God, and His wise, gentle, and loving way of leading us through what it is that we don’t like; or think we can’t handle. We really need God.

Father in Heaven,
The old song says,
Savior, like a shepherd lead us, much we need Thy tender care;
In Thy pleasant pastures feed us, for our use Thy folds prepare.
Blessèd Jesus, blessèd Jesus! Thou hast bought us, Thine we are.
Blessèd Jesus, blessèd Jesus! Thou hast bought us, Thine we are.

Lord, Thine we are – amen.

No comments: