Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Proper Use of Fire


3.1.2011

Numbers 28:2 2 “Give this command to the Israelites and say to them: ‘See that you present to me at the appointed time the food for my offerings made by fire, as an aroma pleasing to me.’ NIV

In the spring, summer, and early fall when my wife and I take the dog for her evening walk, it’s not unusual to encounter the smell of someone barbequing something; chicken, burgers, or steaks. The smell is wonderful even when I’ve already eaten. Usually my thought is how come we didn't cook out? Seems to me the proper use of fire is for the Lord’s benefit – God (apparently) has a sense of smell; but I get to eat the offering.

The perspective many people seem to have of God in the Old Testament, is that He is despotic and given to momentary fits of rage that leave lots of dead people in their wake. So when you compare all of the do’s and don’ts, rewards and punishments of Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy; it seems sort of out of character that God likes the smell of burnt offerings. (I’m sure God’s people did as well.)

But all these offerings listed in Numbers 28 and 29 are simply pictures pointing to the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Every time they burned something on the altar that act was pointing to Jesus and His one-time perfect act for all of mankind forever. In Christ my deepest needs as a human are met and His care for me doesn’t stop at just my senses, it penetrates forever into my soul. Because of His sacrifice, I get to go to heaven and live with Him forever.

Today, I am reminded of the daily-ness of Jesus’ care for me. The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, His mercies never come to an end. They are new every morning; great is His faithfulness. And great is my benefit because of it…

Father in Heaven,
Offerings today are the same as offerings of old: both You and I still benefit from them; but there is no offering and subsequent benefit greater than that of Your Son offering Himself for me. In Him, Your love for all mankind is fulfilled; and my soul is saved because I believe in what He did for me – how cool is that!? Amen!

No comments: