Thursday, March 24, 2011

Hitting the Brakes

3.24.2011

1 Corinthians 9:18 18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make use of my rights in preaching it. NIV

Sometimes you have to learn things the hard way – that is the story of my life. Now, before I evoke pity from you, I want you to understand that learning the hard way is not without its benefits – believe it or not, I have learned some things and feel I am a better person for those lessons learned. For me vocational ministry was not what I thought it to be, nor is it something I especially desire to do again. Today, I would agree with the apostle Paul and say just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make any expectation of remuneration in preaching it. I am free to be free.

Part of my ministry these days is Pastoral Respite. I fill in for guys I know in their churches when they need to be absent or need a break. I enjoy doing that; and I enjoy doing that for free. And I feel free when I do it because I’m not looking for a job, I have one; and I’m not looking for a church, I had one of those and presently, it ain’t for me. But where and when I can, I offer myself as a substitute to fellow ministers for them to be free to take necessary time off and not have to worry about honorariums and that sort of thing. What then is my reward? Knowing that I can offer a service to those in need and partner with them in a very important part of their ministry: hitting the brakes.

Having been a pastor, I know the tension between loving and leading a flock, and when sometimes, loving and leading is very difficult. So to be able to come alongside someone as both a friend and a resource surely amounts to something…

Father in Heaven,
Today, thank You for the freedom to do what I can do, and to do it for free. I pray for my friends in ministry and ask that You refresh them, and bless them in how they go about making their living. I thank You for the privilege of partnering with them and for being able to help whenever I can… in Jesus, amen.

No comments: