Monday, March 7, 2011

What He Knew

3.7.2011

Mark 14:21 21 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.” NIV

There are numerous occasions in Scripture where someone is plain old nailed by someone else’s prophecy – for one, Eli, the priest in 1 Samuel; another, Hezekiah, one of the kings in the Kings. I always wonder what they thought as they were standing there red-handed listening to the indictment of God for their actions, knowing they were guilty. I wonder what was going through Judas Iscariot’s mind as he heard Jesus proclaim that He knew what he knew.

Sometimes the knowledge of someone else’s knowing makes us even more justified that the course of action we’ve chosen is right in our own eyes. Jesus said, “It would be better for him if he had not been born.” Judas may have been saying, “Well it would be better if YOU had not been born – then the Chief priests would leave us alone!” Self always finds someone to blame.

There is such a thing as disagreement in life. There is such a thing as bitterness and envy. There is such a thing as preconceived notions and unspoken assumptions. There are also leaders who, no matter the amount of conversation, are going to go their own way and don’t seem to care what anyone else thinks. I have said in my heart, “It would be better if this person had not been born.” (Or something very close to that…) Sometimes it is very hard to follow the leader.

The question is what does God think about all this? And then the question is, how am I going to react? Am I going to harbor betrayal or am I going to humbly submit? For me, it’s one of the hardest lessons in life and I’m still not sure I get it. That’s why I need the grace of God and the power and presence of the Holy Spirit.

Father in Heaven,
You know at this moment how I have struggled with leadership and authority in my past. You know I wince at the thought of having to go through that same scenario again. But help me God to be honest before You and to look for Your promised power and at the same time, not to find any strength at all in mine. Where You lead me I will follow… amen.

No comments: