Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Landscape of 1 Corinthians 8

3.23.2011

1 Corinthians 8:6 6 …yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live. NIV

When I read a passage I tend to pick up on certain words and descriptors that catch my attention. For instance, God the Father, from whom…and for whom…. And, Jesus Christ, through whomand through whom… These are faith builders for me, and teachers, that help me in my understanding of who God is and how I should view Him.

All things come from God; there isn’t a thing anywhere in heaven or on earth, that didn’t come from Him. If there are monsters, they came from God. If there are extra-terrestrials like the babe in V, they came from God. Everything that is, is His. And all things came through Jesus Christ. Jesus is, whether we see Him as this or not, Creator God. So not only do all things come from God through Jesus Christ, but Paul also states that, through whom, (Jesus Christ) we live.

So, if that is the case, then how I view God the Father and God the Son is important because I live for the One through the Other; by the Other – God the Spirit. And somehow, someway, God is One – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit – co-equal, co-eternal, co-existent. Jesus was submissive to the Father as He was led by the Spirit to do God’s will on earth. The Spirit was submissive to the Father and to the Son as He has come to dwell in cesspools like us as we wrangle over stupid things like food and drink; power, production, and position. And God is submissive to His love and will that His goodness prevail, and all come to know Him… Who knew such things lay around the landscape of 1 Corinthians 8?

And this is the God I worship, Who cares for me, provides for me, and leads me to do the right thing as I interact with my fellow fallen. If I’m living right, then I’m following His counsel, and being a channel of His goodness to the world around me…

Father in Heaven,
From Whom, through Whom, and by Whom all things are. You have called me to live with this understanding so that I may live honorably before You and do as You command – to love You with all I am and have and to love my neighbor as myself. Help me God! Amen.

No comments: