Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Near Him to Hear Him

2.1.2011

Ac 8:29 29 The Spirit told Philip, “Go to that chariot and stay near it.” NIV

I have long been fascinated with the conversations in the Bible between God and His people. Moses seemed to be one who had long conversations with the Lord, and I think much of his time was spent listening and writing down what he heard.

As we fast-forward to the Book of Acts in the New Testament, we see more saints having conversations with the Lord. Philip was one of these saints and one day he found himself wandering down the road from Jerusalem to Gaza; and as he did the Spirit (of the Lord) told him, “Go to that chariot and stay near it.”

I want to be like the people in the Bible who heard and obeyed the Lord. I want to have conversations with God and hear simple commands like, Go to that chariot and stay near it. I think if I stay near Him, I’ll hear Him. As Philip stayed near it was the voice of curious Ethiopian he heard. The Spirit told him to do so and he did.

I must be very careful with the time I have remaining and of the things that demand my time. What I really want is to hear God that I may go and stay near. I know He has plans for me and I know if I sit still and listen I just might hear Him – I might have to shut up and off some other things first.

Father in Heaven,
Help me to hear Your heart and to respond obediently. If ever there was a time in human history when we need to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit, it is now. Speak Lord, Your servant listens… Amen.

No comments: