Sunday, February 20, 2011

An Appointment Scheduled by God

2.20.2011

Acts 27:35-36 35 After he said this, he took some bread and gave thanks to God in front of them all. Then he broke it and began to eat. 36 They were all encouraged and ate some food themselves. NIV

I love the Book of Acts. I love the action, the stories and especially the characters; Luke did a superb job recounting the adventures of the early church and the apostles as he wrote under the supervision and guidance of the Holy Spirit.

If I had to go through some great disaster, I’d want to go through it with someone like Paul – probably the weirdest character of all. There were 276 men aboard the ship and all of them had some story to tell but none of them save Paul, was on a mission from God to meet with Caesar. Many were probably on their way to their death. Many were charged with very serious crimes for which they knew they were guilty or condemned to suffer. But none other than Paul was, by faith, keeping an appointment scheduled by God.

The picture in my mind of Paul when he took some bread and gave thanks to God in front of them all, is absolutely priceless – what a golden opportunity to demonstrate the power, the presence and the protection of God to a bunch of scared, nervous, apprehensive and uncertain men. And the miracle? The miracle was they were all encouraged by Paul’s faith in the promise of God… wow.

I want to be that kind of person – not the one with all of the gifts, knowledge and good looks (no worries there); I want to be one of strong, unshakable, and unstoppable faith in God who is in complete control of my life – and everyone else’s around me.

Father in Heaven,
If not now, when; if not me, who? May I be the one of faith today I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: