Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Proud and Out Loud

2.16.2011

Leviticus 26:13 13 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt so that you would no longer be slaves to the Egyptians; I broke the bars of your yoke and enabled you to walk with heads held high. NIV

When God is proud of you there is no one who can make you feel bad. When God makes you proud you are enabled to focus entirely upon Him and His infinite greatness. When God makes you proud you aren’t concerned with what others think because only He is important; and when He is important, your relationships with others – be they long-lasting or lasting as long as a transaction in the grocery store line – are intact because God is the rock-solid foundation for all your interactions with all others. When God is proud you can live life out loud.

The words, ‘so that’ in the verse above tell us that God had a plan and a purpose for His dealings with His chosen people so that they could live lives out loud in front of the other nations proclaiming His goodness, mercy and love. God brought them out of an empty life so they could live a full life; a life of abundance and plenty in all that they put their hands and hearts to. They would be the marvel and envy of the other nations whose people had been sold a bill of goods that was at best empty and pathetic. God doesn’t allow His people to have their heads held high in the selfish pride of human achievement, but in humility because He had provided all they need and they believe in Him for it.

What sets us apart today? Are our heads held high because our God is proud of our lukewarm feelings toward Him? Is God proud because we are Americans and we live free to do any old thing we set our hearts and hands to? Is God proud because we have a bill of rights?

Or is God proud because we believe in Him and walk humbly and dependent upon Him?

Father in Heaven,
How the world has captured and captivated my heart. How I have longed for a carefree life with all the comforts and benefits of Heaven on earth. Lord, forgive me for holding my head up in pride over what (I think) I can do and what (I think) I have done. God, I’ve bought into a bill of goods that has left me empty and wanting. Help me to get free to walk humbly and dependent at Your side. I want You to be proud of me for truly believing in You – amen.

No comments: