Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Message

2.17.2011

Acts 24:25 25 As Paul discoursed on righteousness, self-control and the judgment to come, Felix was afraid and said, “That’s enough for now! You may leave. When I find it convenient, I will send for you.” NIV

Some may wonder why the drop in attendance in many churches these days. I think it has to do with the courageous pastor who confronts his congregation with the subjects of righteousness, self-control, and the judgment to come; these are very unpopular messages. Some may wonder why other churches are exploding in growth these days, it may be the migration of those who got tired (or frightened) of the messages on righteousness, self-control, and the judgment to come. Felix didn’t like it and neither do 21st century folk.

The message of righteousness, self-control, and the judgment to come is offensive to people especially people who believe it is their right to control their destiny; Felix was one of those offended people.

Sometimes the message of righteousness, self-control, and the judgment to come is like a pestering fly on a hot day. Sometimes it is a cool wind of refreshment in the heat of life. Whenever I find myself offended by the message, it’s a safe bet that I’m probably harboring something in my life that needs to be kicked out. The bottom line is that I am called in Christ to live a life of righteousness, self-control, and preparation for the judgment to come and I am to share that message with those with whom I come into contact with. The message is inconvenient and fearful but it needs to be shared so that the lost may be found…

Father in Heaven,
I pray God that You fill me with Your Spirit to live and preach the message in its entirety. I know that some won’t like it. I know that some will try to outwit it; but You intend for Your followers to walk in righteousness, self-control, and in preparation for the judgment to come – may that be true of me. In Christ, amen.

No comments: