Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Perfect Marriage

2.24.2011

Mark 3:34-35 34 Then he looked at those seated in a circle around him and said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! 35 Whoever does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.” NIV

What is God’s will? What does it consist of? And how do we do God’s will? This always seems to be a question that people have – How do I do God’s will? Jesus said the ones who did God’s will were the ones who were rightly related to Him.

We all have stuff to do in life – jobs, or school, or managing our homes, or some sort of occupation – and we all have stuff to do. How then do we, in these things, do God’s will? How does God’s will fit into these things?

God’s will is first a matter of the heart. When God occupies the place of supreme importance to us then we are on the right track to do His will. God’s will is not a laundry-list of to-do’s or to-don’ts; it is simply a matter of cognitively giving over the direction of one’s heart and soul to Him and allowing Him to rule in our lives either through obedience to His word (the Bible) or through the promptings of the Holy Spirit. It is a matter of suborning our will (what we want to do) to His; Jesus said this is how our relationship with God is defined.

What do we want to do in life? I think that’s mostly defined by the ever-changing dictates of our families, our culture, and the fluidity of our own hearts. So how then do we marry the wants we have with the desires of God in our lives? That is the question. I think it boils down to how we relate to God. If God is the Giver of all things, then we are, in all we do, the receivers of His grace. If God is the Taker (as He is viewed by many) then we simply line up get stripped of more and more as God taxes our lives with more and more of His demands. It’s all in our perspective.

Father in Heaven,
When Your will is of supreme importance to me then all the rest of life lines up correctly. When my will is most important then I find myself defending what I think You’ll take from me. May my life this day, in my job, my family, and my free time line up with Your purpose, power, and presence. May all I do be done for Your glory – amen.

No comments: