Monday, October 18, 2010

What Job Saw

10.18.2010

Job 3:25 25 For the thing that I fear comes upon me, and what I dread befalls me. ESV

There is a whole theology surrounding this statement by Job. There are many who think that what befell him was his caving into fear or his harboring of fear and that had he not been afraid way down deep where no one could see, he wouldn’t have fallen into the suffering he was experiencing.

As humans, fear is a part of our lives. We fear things, places and people. Even the most fearless among us would admit there are things of which they are fearful; fear is upon us all, save maybe the mentally impaired. Therefore all of us should suffer at the hands of God for the fear we carry around, right? WRONG!!!!

Conversations are being held about us in heavenly places. Yes, it is true Job may have had secret fears that gnawed at his faith but God didn’t punish Job for his lack of faith – God allowed Job to experience what he did so he could see the presence of God in the worst of circumstances and that's what Job saw. Job and his friends will spend the next several dozen chapters arguing but in the end Job sees God and is grateful and blessed when he does.

I fear things and my mind sometimes goes crazy on me but I always find myself coming back to my Safe Haven, the presence of the Lord. Circumstances don’t work out the way I want, relationships get strained but I end up trusting God in the midst and things seem to have a way of working themselves out. One thing is for sure: if I learn to trust God in His love then I will always benefit from whatever happens in my life because God is large and in charge.

Father God,
One thing is for sure: Your unfailing love for Your children; it never fails, falters, or fades. I trust You today not knowing what lies in front of me but knowing You took care of Job and fears aside You built him up for good and he trusted You. That’s where I want to be and I ask for You help to get there… amen.

No comments: