Sunday, October 24, 2010

Strong Faith and a Changed Heart

10.24.2010

Acts 20:22-23 And now, behold, I am going to Jerusalem, constrained by the Spirit, not knowing what will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me in every city that imprisonment and afflictions await me. ESV

One of the things that bugs me as we wait for the bank to decide what to do with our property is the not knowing what is going to happen next. I have it all planned out what we’re to do and then it doesn’t happen and I find myself waiting, waiting, waiting… Y’think the Lord is trying to say something to me?

I think about Paul’s comments here and wonder what I’d feel like if all I seemed to hear from God is, “And by the way son, in every town in which you preach Me your only reward will be trouble and hardship!” And Paul didn’t really appear to care so much about the consequences as long as he obeyed God. Different guy.

One of the things that encourages me about Paul’s life was his commitment to obedience to the calling of God; Paul was going to tell the truth no matter what it cost Him. Paul was constrained to speak out for God. Perhaps he really saw the madness of mankind in their varied and often whacko beliefs and in compassion and love tried to help them to see the Better Way. I kinda think he did.

So what I do is to pray each Sunday night in faith and not fear that God will lead us out of the financial mess in which we find ourselves and in the meantime we will trust Him with the outcome. That helps with the not knowing. It is sufficient for me that God knows and He will do what is best for us and we have to be happy with that – right?

Father in Heaven,
You designed us to not know it all; You wired us to be less than omniscient. But You also placed within us the capacity for faith and we are to live in faith in You and leave all of the results up to You. I trust You in the not knowing and believe You will help us as You see fit, not as we wish – and Your help is always better by far. And the results of hardship and not knowing are a stronger faith and a changed heart – that’s what I seek - Amen.


No comments: