Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Learning through Experience

10.20.2010

Job 6:24 24 “Teach me, and I will be silent; make me understand how I have gone astray.” ESV

I fully recognize I have shortcomings, gaffs and sin. In my mind I have such good intentions but in my actions I have such poor execution. At the end of the day sometimes I just sit and reflect back over the day and think about my interactions with people, the attitudes I’ve harbored, and the words that have come out of my mouth. (I try to leave my thoughts alone because sometimes they’re just plain old scary!)

Today, I look back five years to when we moved to Baker and I think about all the water that’s gone under the bridge so to speak since then; a lot of life has passed and now I’m here to where I am today – and the water’s still moving.

Job seemed certainly befuddled by his circumstances and pain. Not only was he hurting physically but emotionally as well; he’d lost 10 children in one horrific incident. I’ve lost one child but I saw it coming; Job lost his and didn’t see it coming. His statement to his friend is something along the line of: alright Mr. Smarty-pants, if you know so much, and if I have done such evil as to deserve all this, then tell me plainly what I did to get in this mess!

Life is simply learning through experience. Sometimes we can learn by observing the mistakes of others but most of the time we learn best by our own shortcomings, gaffs and sin. I need to say to God honestly and humbly, Lord, teach me and I will be silent before You. Make me understand Your ways and help me to keep from going astray. I need to be taught of God, by God and from God. He seems to use my life and all of its experiences to get me to clue-in.

Father in Heaven,
Thank You for the experiences of my life from then until now. Thank You for Your partnership and leadership through it all and as it continues. Help me to be an astute student and to accept Your teaching in a posture of humility and gratitude. I look forward to an eternity with You where my classes will continue in grad-school. Amen.

No comments: