Thursday, October 7, 2010

Facing Forced Faith

10.7.2010

Ezra 8:22 22 For I was ashamed to ask the king for a band of soldiers and horsemen to protect us against the enemy on our way, since we had told the king, “The hand of our God is for good on all who seek him, and the power of his wrath is against all who forsake him.” ESV

As you may know from reading my devotional thoughts, I love the vulnerable honesty portrayed in the Bible. Ezra 8.22 is one of those Kodak moments when somebody stopped to realize that by his words and boasting about the Lord, he had placed himself directly between a rock and a hard place, and maybe put God on the spot. Ezra may have, for a moment, realized that he might’ve possibly said too much too soon.

His statement is true – the hand of our God is for good on all who seek Him, and the power of His wrath is against all who forsake Him – that is true; but that was a pretty bold statement to make considering the length of the journey and the history of the incidents along the route – Ezra and his people may have been easy pickings against a marauding band of thieves; and because travel back and forth on the journey was so few and far between, they may have ended up buried out in the sand and nobody would’ve been the wiser for some time. So, if God is protecting me why should I pack along a weapon to defend myself against those who might consider me easy pickings? Am I just being wise or am I facing the dilemma of forced faith? Ezra was, so he made sure he stopped to get God to go along with what he’d committed Him to…

Sometimes, I think I face forced faith because I say and do things, and then need God to come through on my thoughtlessness and stupidity lest I end up looking like a complete idiot while trying to represent God in a positive light. I usually cannot out-think my next move but I know God can, and God often intervenes for me when I do because the truth is: the hand of God is for good on all who seek Him, and the power of His wrath is against all who forsake Him.  And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. (Ro 8:28 ESV)

Father God,
Thank You for coming through for me when I put myself in situations where my faith seems forced. Help me to live wisely and humbly and honestly before You and men even when I say and do things that put You on the spot… amen.

No comments: