Thursday, October 14, 2010

Effective Listening

10.14.2010

Acts 3:22 22 Moses said, ‘The Lord God will raise up for you a prophet like me from your brothers. You shall listen to him in whatever he tells you.’ ESV

What part of the food we eat today is going to make the difference in our life? The salad? The meat? The broccoli; the pasta? What part is going to help us the most? Or maybe it will be all of it; eating food today will make the difference in our life. What of what we hear will make the difference in our life today?

The Jews listening to Peter were big fans of Moses; they hung on every word Moses taught them in the Law. And I think they were ready, willing, and eager for a prophet like Moses to come along and kick the Roman’s butts and clean house. The disappointment came when this superman they envisioned in their culture never showed up. This Jesus guy sure wasn’t the prophet and political powerhouse they were expecting. But here’s Peter saying He was. All this time they’d been listening to God but believing only what their hearts wanted.

I must learn to shut up and listen; really listen. I must learn to live within my circumstances and let the Lord lead me through them with the right thoughts and the right attitudes. Life is a series of odd situations that are divinely designed to get me to ask, “Lord, what are You trying to tell me?” If I’m not careful and attentive I’ll miss what He’s saying. I think I’ve missed too much for too long. For me there are two parts to effective listening: hearing and doing. I must learn to be complete in my listening…

Father in Heaven,
You have much to tell me and I need to hear it all. I pray as we fellowship together that You would give me ears to hear and a heart to follow You wherever You lead in whatever You desire for me to do. Help me to model for others how to hear You effectively – I pray in Your Name, amen.

No comments: