Tuesday, October 12, 2010

That Enabling Joy

10.12.2010

Nehemiah 8:10 10 Then he said to them, “Go your way. Eat the fat and drink sweet wine and send portions to anyone who has nothing ready, for this day is holy to our Lord. And do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.” ESV

On the negative side, the heart that is attuned to God through His word can be shamed by what is revealed in the word. That shame can lead to sorrow and that sorrow to tears. But unless it leads to true repentance it’s a waste of time and God is not in the business of making us cry – He’s in the business of healing us and giving us joy. We must never underestimate the strength that comes from that joy. The positive side is that we remain connected to Him.

I have always believed this verse to be saying that it is somehow God’s own joy that is my strength. And while it is true that God is joyful over me, it is my strength in the New Testament sense that my life is producing joy as a fruit of the Holy Spirit. If my life is producing joy, then I know in my heart that I am totally connected to the Father – apart from Him I can do nothing. That knowledge produces in me an assurance and sense of well being that what I am doing is pleasing to God. That is the Source of my strength.

Joy is not just happiness but is the deep down knowledge that I am completely connected to God – no loose ends, no fraying edges. And from that joy is a divine strength that enables me to do the Father’s bidding. Crying over spilled milk is not strength. Remorse is not strength. The joy of who God is and what He does in me is strength, and I am to focus upon and seek for that enabling joy.

Father in Heaven,
Your joy over me is my strength but so is my joy in You. Your joy is a gift You give to me to carry on and so I seek Your joy through fellowship with You and by devotion and obedience to Your word. And as I live my life with the necessary strength to do as You say others will be blessed and that this world be brightened by Your love and presence. Amen.

No comments: