Friday, October 1, 2010

What If

10.1.2010
Luke 14:34-35 34 “Salt is good, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? 35 It is of no use either for the soil or for the manure pile. It is thrown away. He who has ears to hear, let him hear.” ESV

When I awoke this morning I thought, what if. What if I didn’t read my Bible everyday? What would my life be like if I neglected to get God’s perspective from my daily readings? How would I think and what would I think about if I wasn’t putting something of eternal value into my thought processes on a regular basis? If I am as bad as I am now, how bad would I be if I turned my back on the Lord? If what I have settled for now is pathetic, how pathetic would my settling be if I totally ignored God? What if?

There is a part of me that I cannot see that is nourished and helped by spending regularly scheduled time in God’s book. There is a part of me that is beyond my control that is infinitely helped by choosing to think about and respond to God’s way. What if I chose to live some other way? If my behavior and worldview is impacted now by what I read in Scripture, then what would it look like if I didn’t?

What if God has something in store for me that He is waiting for me to discover in His word that I’ve never seen before and never ever considered possible? What if there are people around me that God has strategically placed to be eternally freed by what He reveals through me from my daily times in His word? What if?

Salt is good, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? Scrambled eggs are good, but they don’t make chickens. What if I choose to remain faithful to God by reading what He has given to me, and acting upon it?

Father in Heaven,
You have given Your word and invited me to partake of it. Let Your word have its way in me and through me; and may my daily excursions into it make a difference in my life and the lives of the people around me – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: