Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful


11.26.2009

Matthew 25:13 13 “Be on the alert then, for you do not know the day nor the hour.” New American Standard Bible

Today, I am thankful for the demands of the New Testament. I know that may sound a bit harsh because we people-types don’t necessarily like demands; we’d rather pleasant requests wrapped up in pretty paper with potpourri – and the options of doing or not doing. Demands are not optional; demands have both the potential of great reward and dire consequence. A thoughtful read through Matthew 23-25 gives me a clear picture of the demands given me as a believer.

Today, I am thinking about a good meal and time off with my wife and present kids. Today, I am thinking about extended family. Today, I am thinking about work tomorrow. Today, I am reminded to be on the alert. Today, I am thinking about the hypocrisy of religion. Today, I am thinking about my true motives and how I may best serve the King of Kings. Today, I am thinking about the demands of the Scripture reminding me that Jesus could come back even today – Thanksgiving Day – and would I be about His business or my own?

It’s unthinkable for me to operate my car without thinking about and keeping an eye on the road. I am reminded once again today that I cannot live the Christian life without keeping an eye on my life; how I live here on earth, and what report I’ll bring to my face-to-face meeting with Jesus who says, “Be on the alert then”

Father in Heaven,
For You, for life, for salvation, for Christ, I am thankful this day. I am also thankful that there is a life to live and I’m to live it (as a child of the King) up to the standard You have established. Help me to live as You demand and to look forward to life eternal hearing You say, “Well done faithful servant! Come and enter the inheritance prepared for you!” In Jesus’ Name I pray, amen.

1 comment:

hallockd said...

Good words, Pablo! A more ancient Pablo saw these truths and expressed them this way: "Set your minds on things above where Christ is seated at the right hand of God."