Tuesday, November 24, 2009

More Money More Faith


11.24.2009

Mt 19:24 24 “Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” New American Standard Bible

Many times in the last year I have opined that I wish I had more money. I do have a job but I’d like to have more money. If I did, (I reason to myself) I’d pay off some bills and live more financially responsible. I’d change if only I had more money.

But the fact of the matter is I am where I am now largely because I did have more money. I have a bad performance record with money and the responsibility that comes along with it. In this season of my life I am slowly coming around to my need for more faith and the responsibility that comes along with it. Money hasn’t given me everything I need – only faith can do that – and money cannot buy faith.

In the midst of an affluent and extraordinarily materialistic society two of the greatest gifts a person can have are godly wisdom coupled with self-control; these are only available to the one who believes in, trust in, and obeys God. The rich young ruler in Matthew 19 couldn’t do it by depending on his wealth; and I confess – humiliated and ashamed – neither can I.

Father in Heaven,
Your servant Peter tells me in his second epistle that You have, “…granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness…” through the true knowledge of You and by Your calling us by Your own glory and excellence. I want to be excellent in the things of life and especially in how I approach money and possessions. Jesus said, “If you hand causes you to stumble – cut it off!” O God, give me wisdom, courage, and self control toward money and possessions – I pray in His Name, amen.

1 comment:

hallockd said...

Amen and AMEN, sir! Cutting off the things that we are dearly attached to (hands, eyes) take tremendous self control to 'cut off.'

May God richly bless you as you seek to be more His and less yours.