Sunday, November 22, 2009

Learn From Me


11.22.2009

Matthew 11:29 29 “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." New American Standard Bible

Yesterday we considered the act of going and learning – in other words, look at what is already established and take the time to think about it carefully and apply the lessons accordingly. So, we are to go and learn. Today, two chapters later Jesus tells us, learn from Me.

The study of the Lord is a noble task but the emulation of the Lord is greater. It is one thing for me to learn about Jesus – it is another thing altogether to do what He does.

To learn from Jesus is to do as He did and take the yoke of His lifestyle upon me. His lifestyle was that of complete surrender to God and unflinching obedience to His commands. And Jesus labeled Himself, gentle and humble. How great are the gifts and ways of gentleness and humility. How lacking they are in this society and how needed they are among men.

Father in Heaven,
I don’t want to learn about Jesus, I want to do as He did. I want to be free from harshness and arrogance and be humble and gentle toward and around people. I know You know that is the desire of my heart and from what I read, You say that You give us our desires. Thanks in advance for what You are doing, have already done and will do to help me to be like the Savior - in His Name, amen.

No comments: