Wednesday, November 18, 2009

All This Time


11.18.2009

2 Corinthians 12:19 19 All this time you have been thinking that we are defending ourselves to you. Actually, it is in the sight of God that we have been speaking in Christ; and all for your upbuilding, beloved. New American Standard Bible

All this time they got the wrong idea or came to the wrong conclusions. The church in Corinth described in the Bible is a perfect picture of the church today and of one of the titanic struggles that takes place in many, many churches around the globe – the human struggle for power.

Power is such a strong intoxicant we all crave it. Yes, I do mean all; it is a universal fruit of sin. We want the power to control our destiny. We listen to God (or whoever); get just enough information to make us dangerous and leap into the fray (bloody and brutal) to see who comes out on top. Top dog is where we truly want to be. As I read the Corinthian letters again this season, I see the struggle for power and it-is-ugly!

That’s why Paul made the statement he made, “All this time you have been thinking that we are defending ourselves to you.” He wasn’t defending himself to anyone – he was speaking in Christ and they couldn’t hear (understand) because they were too bothered about looking stupid to the power mongers rather than submitting in Christ. Yes, it is an ugly game and it happens all over, all-the-time.

And I am guilty as sin of committing the same ugly acts: Who is this guy!!? Where’d he come up with this stuff!? Well I’m not going to listen to that!!! I am called to submit and leave the results up to God. That means intentionally placing me in a position of vulnerability out of obedience to Christ rather than protecting my position by grabbing for more power. It’s really difficult, but that is what I get from this study today. My normal inclinations are something I must learn to unlearn.

Father in Heaven,
You could’ve had anyone go to Corinth and plant a church. No sweat. But You sent Paul and it appears that at least some there loved to hate him because they felt their power was threatened. God, I am humbled this day because of the memories of all the times I have done the same thing. Help me to kill the dragon of power and embrace the Spirit of Humility and Submission – I cry out in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: