Friday, November 13, 2009

Man Up


11.13.2009

Job 40.7a 7“Now gird up your loins like a man; NASB

What does that mean, “like a man”? I’ve heard that all my life and I’m not sure I really know what’s being asked of me when someone demands, 'Be a man!' I figure somebody must be doing it because everybody is demanding it – but most of life I just haven’t known who the real man example is so that I may follow him and be like a man. I mean if Job wasn’t, who is?

Being a man isn't being physically superior; nor is being a man being superior intellect . Being a man isn’t being looks, wealth or skill or talent – being a man is acknowledging God and submission to Him – there's no greater measure of a man than the one who does that. Being a man means rightly and humbly relating to God; allowing Him to call all the shots.

Apparently Job was acting other than a man. He questioned God and talked smack about God as if God was somewhere else in the U not listening. Most of the men I know do that; they talk about God and act as if He is anywhere but on the throne of their heart. Friend, I challenge you, listen to the things men say and you’ll quickly see who is and who isn’t a man according to what comes out of their mouth; because what comes out of there comes from their heart; and if God is in their heart, they talk differently; they talk and behave as if He is.

I am learning to gird up my loins like a man. To me that has to mean summoning the courage to stand before God and acknowledge His sovereign lordship over my entire life – every part, all the time. I must speak as a man and act as a man and I can only do that as I acknowledge the presence of God within me and submit to His authority over me. Talent, looks, money, physicality need not apply – they aren’t the true measure of a man. Only the submitted may man up. Only those who acknowledge and accept God on HIS TERMS may man up.

Father in Heaven,
You created man as the pinnacle of Your creation and though for a time he is a little lower that the angels, You have proclaimed he will reign over Your creation as a full-fledged partner in Your Kingdom – something You haven’t promised to angels. So I am to man up and learn from You and stop being a rebel and a whiner and a coward and a liar. I am to listen to You and learn from You and submit to Your wisdom and righteousness. I am incapable of saving myself. Lord help me this day to walk as He walked and to honor You in all I do – I pray in His Name, amen.

No comments: