Saturday, November 14, 2009

Pep Talk


11.14.2009

1 Corinthians 15:58 58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord. New American Standard Bible

Personally, I would recommend reading 1 Corinthians 15 at least more than twice a year (that being according to the Bible Reading Plan I use). I would recommend reading this chapter of the Bible every time you feel down, threatened, frustrated, fearful, or disappointed. I would recommend reading this chapter carefully, thoughtfully and slowly; meditating on every phrase and the fact that it was written to people who had gotten off the tracks.

This chapter is one of the best pep-talks in the whole of Scripture. And even we believers need regular and powerful pep-talks. We need to be reminded of why we believe what we believe; and we believe a huge truth that God has made a way for us to be freed from death (never-ending separation) through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, so that we may live with Him forever! Everything in our world is opposed to that, and sometimes we get off-track.

I first learned (and memorized) 1 Corinthians 15.58 when I finally subjected my life to the Lordship of Jesus Christ in 1983; I realized today that it means a whole lot more than it already does when it is read as a summation of the rest of 1 Corinthians 15. It is a massive, encouraging truth and I will live remembering that no matter what the world throws at you and me, we are to be, “…steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that [our] toil is [never ever, ever] in vain in the Lord.

Father in Heaven,
Thank You for Your love and goodness and God, thank You for Your favor for all Your children. I admit I get tired and crabby and sometimes lose sight of the mission; but thank You for the loving reminder today, and may I use it to encourage my fellow-believers in this truth: our faith in Christ is never ever, ever in vain – in His Name I pray, amen.

No comments: