Thursday, November 5, 2009

In Me


11.5.2009

Galatians 1:15-16a 15 "But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, was pleased 16 to reveal His Son in me..." New American Standard Bible

WARNING! MASSIVE STATEMENT ALERT! Paul does it again; he blows me away with his words and understanding. Having read Galatians more than a few times it never occurred to me that Paul identifies himself this way: called from birth; and, Jesus Christ revealed in him! I’m sorry folks, we’ll get to our destination in due time, but first we got to back up the bus.

Paul was called from birth. So am I and so is every person who believes because of a thing called the foreknowledge of God. Of course Paul was called from birth, he wasn’t called when he was saved because God’s intention all along was for this man to be a part of His Kingdom and serve Him there.

And then the biggie: “But when God…was pleased to reveal His Son in me…” Not ‘to me’ but ‘in me’. Wow! This is big! Paul was trying so hard to do what he thought religion had called him to do that he overlooked God IN HIM. So often we are trying to introduce Jesus to people when really we need to introduce Jesus in people. I’m telling ya, there's no way a sinner can ever identify his sin or his destitute condition and come to repentance without the presence of Christ within – it just ain’t gonna happen. And God does it in grace and pleasure! Wow!

So, Paul Turk, bring it all home, baby. All-rigthty then, here is what I think now: I have been called from birth to serve the living God and it is because from that moment, God placed Jesus in me and I ignored it for years – but not anymore. If anyone is going to give me meaning and purpose in life it’s Jesus and I am going to see myself every day as Paul saw himself: in Christ with Christ within. My identity is (and has always been) in Him. So no more wasting time…

Father in Heaven,
You were pleased in Your grace to reveal Jesus Christ in me because however You do it, You did it. Here is my confession and identity: I am not freewheeling out here on my own but I am a servant of Yours in Him because You put Him in me. Father, help me to see that truth every day in every way; and may my life’s purpose be accomplished in Him! I pray in His Name, amen.

No comments: