Tuesday, May 4, 2010

What Is Faith?


5.4.2010

Matthew 21:22 22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.” ESV

In Mark’s gospel this verse is qualified with, “And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.” (Mark 11:25 ESV) So this leads me to understand that not only is faith required for answered prayer, but so is forgiveness.

What is faith? I have been praying for about a year now for a job with better hours, Sundays off and no evening shifts; I start that job one week from today. What is faith? I have been praying for missionaries, family, friends, pastors, churches, government officials and on and on. What is faith? Faith is not an exercise of wrestling God to the ground to get Him to agree with me and give into my requests. Faith is not going down my check-off list; faith is aligning my heart with God’s that I may be a part of what He is doing believing that this is what He desires for my life. And faith is the act of believing that God hears me and acts on my behalf. Jesus doesn’t limit what I ask for; He limits my prayers to the realm of faith.

I will make my requests to the Lord in faith knowing that He hears me and answers my requests (either ‘yes’ or ‘no’). That knowing is the understanding and belief that He’s given me that He hears and acts when I pray…

Father in Heaven,
Because You hear and act, here’s my prayer: I pray for increased faith and I pray for increased forgiveness. I pray for Your help in every area of my life – the ones that seem to be under control and the ones that don’t. Lord, thank You for answered prayer about the job; I believe You heard and acted because I believe You have something for me to do; the future will reveal that. Build my faith and because I know You will, thanks. Amen.

No comments: