Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Dealing with the Damage Done


5.12.2010

1 Thessalonians 1:6 6And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction, with the joy of the Holy Spirit... ESV

My reading today included a chapter in 2 Samuel where David inquires of the Lord for a drought and God reveals to him that it is because of a sin Saul committed against the Gibeonites that was never made right – it was, so to speak, an outstanding unpaid debt. As the king and the leader of his nation David asks the Gibeonites two very important questions: “What shall I do for you? And how shall I make atonement, that you may bless the heritage of the Lord?”(2 Sam. 21.3 ESV) And subsequently, seven of Saul’s descendants are delivered over for execution at the hands of the Gibeonites…

So as I think about my life and outstanding debts I may have, what is my response; how can I make atonement; how do I deal with the damage I’ve done? Here’s how: And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction, with the joy of the Holy Spirit. I am to give my life over to God in a way that it reflects that I imitate my spiritual parents (those strong in Christ who’ve influenced me) and the Lord (that I study His life and do by the Spirit what He did). Where I can make restitution I will, and where I can ask forgiveness I will; but I will imitate Jesus and receive the joy of the Holy Spirit in return.

Father in Heaven,
You have called me to turn from wickedness and idolatry (in its modern forms) and follow You. I am to deal with the sins of my past as I am led by Your Spirit and as I imitate the Savior and those whose lives are strong in You. Help me God to do what’s right and by my imitating Your ways, to bring honor and glory to Your holy Name – amen.

No comments: