Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Way that is Blameless


5.19.2010

1 Kings 4:20 20 Judah and Israel were as many as the sand by the sea. They ate and drank and were happy. ESV

God always intends for His people to be happy and at peace. The problem is, and history shows, that God’s people get fat and happy – and then forgetful. Solomon’s reign was the golden years of Israel; but during the golden years even with the golden temple the people slowly began to forget Who it was that gave them their gold.

God is accused by many of being a spoil-sport. But those who accuse don’t realize or understand what strength of faith it takes to walk in prosperity and happiness in a fallen world. They don’t realize the magnitude of the magnetism of materialism; they don’t comprehend the slavery of self.

What was needed then is what is needed now – a people who will say as the psalmist in Psalm 101: I will [give my life to] ponder the way that is blameless. Most of us would agree that it is nice to be materially blessed, but most of us (I think) don’t realize how material things lead us away from God.

In addressing idleness in 2 Thessalonians 3 Paul said, “It was not because we do not have that right, but to give you in ourselves an example to imitate.” (v. 3) Paul was in the business of giving himself to God so that he wouldn’t be burdened down by building empires of self on earth.

I am coming to the conclusion that my empires are mostly fantasies and that the kingdoms I’ve created have led me down worthless tracks. My desire is to follow God simply and with integrity that one day when I am called home I may hear the words, “Well done, good and faithful servant! Come inherit the kingdom prepared for you since before the foundation of the world.”

Father in Heaven,
You have given me good things but may I ever be giving these things back and striving toward that inheritance that belongs to the faithful who aren’t side-tracked by the materialism of this world – I pray in Jesus Name, amen.

No comments: