Sunday, May 16, 2010

My Knowing is My Going


5.16.2010

Psalm 91:14 14 “Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name.” ESV

One year ago today, I wrote on this verse and how I saw that God protected David from an ugly power grab by Adonijah, his fourth son by Haggith. God protected David and caused his son Solomon to be anointed king because it was His will, and Adonijah couldn’t believe that.

Today, one year later, what stands out to me is the phrase, “…because he knows My name.” It is one thing to know the Bible and what it says; it’s another thing to know the Church and what it does; it is altogether above and beyond to know the Name of the Lord. And it’s not just to know His Name, but it’s also to live by His Name. Adonijah didn’t know God’s name; he didn’t walk and live in faith.

I am not to live by David’s faith, but like David I am to know the Name of the Lord and live following David’s example of faith. God’s promise to me is not to protect me according to what David did, but according to what I do and that is to know His Name and all that goes with that knowing; my knowing is my going.

Lord God,
It is hard to express what I really see here in this little phrase of words but it means a lot to me and promises that as I know You, I know that You are my Shield and Fortress; my Strong Tower and Deliverer. You are my Strength and Shelter; my Protector. But even these cannot be just words, they must be the core of my being and the compass of my heart. If they are just words, then I am really only depending upon myself and I know I am too small and weak to do that. Help me to know You more and to walk according to Your mighty and everlasting Name; it’s because of Your Name I pray, amen.

No comments: