Thursday, May 13, 2010

Do Not Stay Your Hand
5.13.2010

2 Samuel 24:16 16 And when the angel stretched out his hand toward Jerusalem to destroy it, the Lord relented from the calamity and said to the angel who was working destruction among the people, “It is enough; now stay your hand.” And the angel of the Lord was by the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite. ESV

I am glad that the Lord, the Unlimited One, knows when enough is enough. All of us need trials, testing, and discipline, but God knows when He’s made His point and we’ve got it: No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. (1 Co 10:13 ESV)

David had been tempted to count his army so he could see with his eyes how great he was – the sin was not living by faith in God who isn’t impressed with the size of any army but with the size of everyone’s faith. This action that David took was not without consequences and as we can see above, the Lord said, “It is enough; now stay your hand.” God had made His point and David got it.

My prayer to the Lord today is, do not stay Your hand, but do whatever is necessary in my life so that I get it – please. I want to get it and I want to endure in what I am taught. Because I forget, or get distracted, or succumb to temptation. So I rest on this: God is faithful and He will not let me be tempted beyond my ability, but with the temptation will provide a visible way of escape, that I may be able to endure it. And as they say, that’s what I’m talking about!

Father God,
Your hand is upon me and You are guiding my life. I pray for correction, discipline, reproof and instruction in righteousness. I pray that You not stay Your hand until Your purposes reach their fulfillment. As the Psalmist prayed, O Lord, be my helper – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: