Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Inability



5.26.2010

Romans 7:18 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. ESV

In this part of Romans Paul is writing to those who know the Law of Moses (see verse 1). And Paul establishes that the Law is good and was given for good reason; God only ever does good and only does it for good reason. But man cannot find good in what gives his evil nature strength; man’s evil nature feeds on the rules and grows with each new rule. God established His Law with the ancient Israelis to help them to how it was He expected them to behave – but as Paul said in verse 18, they didn’t have the ability to do so. To keep God’s law one must have God in his heart. They didn’t and couldn’t.

Like Paul, I can say that I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. I can say that I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out…by keeping the rules and apart from the Spirit of God.

I am to walk in fellowship with Christ; that is, in friendship and mutual love with Him. Then He shares His life with me and I learn how to emulate His life and walk as He walked in fellowship with the Father by the Holy Spirit – it cannot be any other way. Apart from fellowship with Christ is the inability to do what pleases God – period.

Father in Heaven,
Today, all over again, I commit to the truth that I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. I admit I think about that mostly when I am up against something beyond my skill and ability like work or something like that. But today I purpose to walk in relationship with You by fellowship with Christ through the presence of Your Spirit. Help me God – apart from You all I have is the inability…amen.

No comments: